Thursday, October 7, 2010

Day 3 - Finally!

After my last post I thought the worst of my illness was over.  I was wrong.  I took a turn for the worse the next day but did eventually get well.  It's just hard sometimes to get back in the swing of things when you've been out of it for so long.  I ran into that problem.  Everything else seemed too important.  A friend would call and want to spend time together or I would feel like I needed to do something OTHER than work on housework.  And to be fair, to some degree I was just avoiding it.  

Housework has always been something that is horrible for me.  Yeah, you get a great feeling when it's done, but even as a pre-teen I can remember spending HOURS cleaning my room, because I couldn't just go in there and pick up the stuff on the floor and clean off the dresser.  I had to pull all of my furniture away from the wall and vacuum under and behind it.  I had to change the sheets on my bed, dust the furniture, organize the closet and the dresser drawers, etc.  And honestly, who wants to spend that long to clean a bedroom?  Who wants to spend that much time to clean a kitchen, living room, bathroom, etc.?

So now FLYlady comes along and says "You don't have to clean the whole kitchen!  Just shine your sink!" It's a wonderful thought, but harder to practice.  You have to see each accomplishment as a victory and stop obsessing over making it all perfect!  My sink is shiny!  The countertops are messy, the floor feels grainy under my (oops!) bare feet and dishes are piled up on the counters and the stove... but I have shined my sink and I need to think of that as a victory!  

Yesterday was officially Day 3 for me.  I didn't do it perfectly, but that's okay.  I woke up to a shiny sink this morning and I did, in fact, smile. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment